Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 117: The godliness within

So I'm not much of a believer, not in the many rules of religion. The religion I was born into has a great many rules. I am much more fond of the rituals really. And I am glad that there are other people out there who are committed to the rules. They create and maintain community, a place to return to, a way of being that carries me back.

The flowers looked something like this. Happy 5773 everyone!
I realized a few years ago that my connection to the prayers is all in the melodies. If the melodies are unfamiliar to me, they feel "wrong" and I find it impossible to connect to the jewishness within.

Waiting for the rebbetzen and her family to walk with to shul this morning, I was captivated by the beauty of some potted flowers in their courtyard, their stillness, their life. Meditating on their beauty, I made my resolution for 5773:  to give the godliness within...that time that is just between me and myself...substantially more room in my life.

And I am a happier camper for that. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment