Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 61: Auld acquaintance

My idea of a perfect day: Slept late. Straightened out. Showered. Dressed. Ate. And then I welcomed eight strangers (and three friends) into my home for an afternoon of board games, conversation, snacks and more. We began at 2 PM and the first time I looked at the clock it was 9:10 PM. Wow.

Off I sent them and 10 minutes later the place was back in order...I just adore having a dishwasher.

What really put a smile on my face, though, was the e-mail waiting in my inbox. Yesterday, I'd tracked down what I hoped was the daughter of a person very near and dear to my heart. A man now in his late 80s and whom I've known since 1982. Thirty years. We'd kept in touch long after I moved to Sweden and I would visit him every time I was in NY. A few years ago, for health reasons, he stopped wanting to meet. We kept up by phone and e-mail until his hearing deteriorated and he no longer felt comfortable taking phone calls. For the past year or more, I was no longer getting replies to my mails and began fearing the worst.

I found this man's daughter via the internet naturally. She is teaching at a university and her faculty profile page lists an e-mail address. So, off I sent a mail, apologizing for the intrusion and explaining who I was and why I was writing. This evening, I received her reply. Her father is alive and doing fine. A stone was lifted from my heart and deep sense of gratitude and relief swept through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment