Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 62: Honored guest

I have a new friend. She is nine years old and proudly made her way to visit today all on her own. She doesn't live all that far away, but still, it was an accomplishment. She's bright, curious, multilingual and likes playing cards. In fact, she taught me a fun new card game today.


It's amazing to find someone in Sweden who does not need to be taught RummiKub, a card game played with tiles which I learned as a kid from my Aunt Giza. Some of my fondest memories are of playing on her terrace, with her and her tile playing friends who were all in their 60s when I was a kid.




Sitting across the table playing today, I felt like I was playing with my younger self. It was eerie. And beautiful. I hope that this is the first of many visits from my young friend. She's promised to take me for a bike ride too. Now all I have to do is borrow a bicycle! Any volunteers?

No comments:

Post a Comment