Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 19: 100% return on investment

How would you rate 100% return on an investment in less than one year? Given current interest rates and the state of the world's economy, I am more than pleased with that outcome. And unlike many other ventures, you don't have to get in on the ground floor to take advantage of this one. Shall I let you in on the secret? OK, then...invest in a Fotografiska membership.

Fotografiska is the photography museum in Stockholm. I joined as a member last June and have since then been to nine exhibitions there. (Bear in mind that I was traveling for six months over the past year. If I had been in Stockholm for the entire year, the number of visits would no doubt have been greater.) Membership costs 495 kronor a year for unlimited access to the museum. The entrance fee is 110 kronor if you are not a member. So, in the year I've been a member, I have doubled my investment. Or have visited the museum at half-price. Now that's what I call value.


And if that isn't enough reason to join, consider the museum's fantastic location, right on the waterfront with outstanding views from the fine restaurant on the top floor. The museum also happens to be located two kilometers from where I live, the perfect distance for a brisk walk in any type of weather. The museum's directors, Jan och Per Broman, seem to have an endless capacity for finding creative and original ways to use the space. In addition to the exhibits and courses that the museum offers, there are evening activities every day of the week. During June, July and August, the museum opens at 7 AM...brilliant!

You bet I'll be renewing this membership!


The brig Tre Kronor af Stockholm was moored along the quay outside the museum today, which also happens to be Sweden's National Day. The ship was open to the public from 2 to 3 PM and the guides on board talked about the vessel's sailing on the North Sea.



The museum viewed from Klippgatan.

No comments:

Post a Comment