Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day 174: Forgetfulness, part 3

Can hardly put together coherent sentences I'm so tired tonight. Still it was fun to lift my head out of the intense focus on our musical and attend book club this evening. I'd read the book, A Beginner's Goodbye by Anne Tyler (one of my favorite authors) a couple of months ago and was surprised at a) how much I had to say about it and b) how much of it I'd forgotten.

The discussion centered for a while on just this subject: books you've read and cannot remember, even when you remember that you really liked (or disliked) them. A couple of decades ago, I was a very avid Rex Stout fan and collected all 58 of his Nero Wolfe mysteries. You'd think it would be impossible to reread mysteries...after all, what's the point of reading a who done it when you already know who did it, right? This is when forgetfulness comes in handy. I'm pretty sure I've read the entire series at least twice, possibly three times.

Which reminds me, I need to start taking a good book along with me for the long daily commutes I have through the end of November. Good thing I've got plenty on my shelves that I know I read and loved...but could not tell you what they were about :-) It's like watching reruns, only better!


No comments:

Post a Comment