Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 134: From the belly kind of laughter

I haven't been to see a stand-up comedian in ages so when I saw the event posted on MeetUp, I though, "Why not?" Let me tell you friends, there is nothing like spending a couple of hours laughing so much that your belly shakes. Al Pitcher is funny, in a Robin Williams kind of way: quick mind, quirky way of seeing the world and an hilarious take on Swedish (the language, the being, the lot).

An extra delight is that he appeared at Södrateatern where our production of Assassins will play in January. And I managed to get in a plug, if not for the production per se then at least for Sondheim. Pitcher asked if anyone in the audience had ever met anyone famous and I answered "Stephen Sondheim." (You'll understand the caliber of this comedian when I tell you that he spot-on knows who Stephen Sondheim is! And this in Sweden.) As he was signing autographs in the lobby after the show, I whispered in his ear, "I have have to run but I leave you with these parting words: Sondheim to the Masses!" He laughed at that one and I knew that he knew exactly who I was. Put a smile on my lips for the remainder of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment