Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 133: Happy is in the doing

Not our sukkah but wanted to give you an idea of what one looks like
It's Sukkot and for the first time since I was a child, I spent time in a sukkah. To my great surprise, today's shiur (lesson, in the biblical sense of the word) was all about the pursuit of happiness. Apparently, on Sukkot we are commanded in the bible not once, not twice but thrice to be happy. There were interesting discussions in the sukkah this evening about why that might be and how one might go about it.

In one of the associated readings by a biblical scholar, a long list of ways in which the writer tried to find happiness concludes with (and I paraphrase) "and I found the most rejoice in my labors." This resonated with me and I shared with the group the story of finding happy in 365 days. How I am finding that a sure-fire happy every day is the act of writing the blog. The doing in itself makes me happy.

As a bonus, a number of the people there became quite intrigued by the idea, perhaps even inspired to start one themselves. That, too, made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment