Friday, September 7, 2012

Day 107: The Burbs

Next book club meeting is on Tuesday and I hadn't even procured the book let alone read it. It is not a book I want to buy...and in any event I'm on a buying freeze at the moment for all but the absolute essentials...so I planned to borrow it from the library. The library in Stockholm is surprisingly well stocked with books in English and this one is no exception. The only hitch is that someone else had already taken it out. I put a reservation on it a few weeks back but the loaner has not returned it. What to do?

Then it struck me that I could read the book in Swedish (although that does break my cardinal rule to read a book in its native language if it is a language I comprehend...however, desperate times call for desperate measures). There were plenty of copies of the book in Swedish, though not at a library nearby. So, off I went on the subway to one of Stockholm's suburbs to get the book so I can read it over the weekend.

Funny the many neighborhoods you never visit in a place you've lived in for many years. It both makes sense (after all, why travel there unless you have a reason) and is really odd. It felt like somewhat of an adventure and it was fun to see the bustle in the town square. Here are some photos. While you're looking at them, I am going to start on that book if I'm to finish it by Tuesday!

Art in the subway station

Town square

Fruit stand


1 comment:

  1. Ha ha Farsta ... I grow up there ...
    There is a beautiful lake called Magelungen there.. Ill take you for a walk some time..
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete