Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day 101: Ya gotta love the Swedes

An outdoor canopy appeared in the neighboring garden this morning and I could not for the life of me figure out what that was all about. For a while, I thought maybe it had been out there all along and that I'd simply never noticed it before. A little while ago, I looked up from my kitchen table and saw a couple out there decorating it.

Then it hit me...it's crayfish party season in Sweden! Two straight days of pouring rain were certainly no reason to cancel the traditional celebration. It's hard to make out in the photo (I did not want to intrude on their festivities by moving closer) but the table is all decked out with party hats and crayfish bibs and the requisite red crayfish streamer hanging across the canopy ceiling.

I expect it will be a long night, eating, singing and, most importantly on this occasion, drinking snaps. In the rain. And wind. And cold. But hey, it's crayfish season and the weather be damned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment