Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 32: Reflections


A mirror is a useful tool. I spend way too little time looking at myself in mirrors. Most of the time, I'm in some inner dialog about the things I should be doing, or planning ahead, or reading a book or, let's be honest, playing some online word game :-)

Today, I started practicing for when I get my new bathroom. I took a long hard look in the mirror at Ingrid's. I looked and looked until I actually saw and could sustain seeing beyond a fleeting moment. I looked until I was simply there looking, neither critical nor pleased. I looked until my reflection looked back at me. It was a surprisingly relaxing experience, what I imagine meditation practitioners feel. A sense of presence. Followed by a sense of joy. Someday, I hope to get to know that person too. For now, I'm thrilled to be seeing her.

What the mirror saw

No comments:

Post a Comment