Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Day 287: Call Me Maybe

LOL! So a few weeks ago a FB friend posted a link to a YouTube video with the comment "What to do when you're bored in Afghanistan?!" The video shows U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan doing a lip sync version of Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe. For some reason, for the past few days, that video and the song have been on my mind. Today, I decided I had to find it again and watch, if only to be able to let it go.

Could not find the link on my friend's wall. Went into YouTube and searched. At first, I had no luck because, as it turns out I was had the title wrong. When I finally figured that out, I got many hits. It turns out that this video is actually a cover of video that the Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders recorded. So it took me a while to find the one I'd previously seen.

In the meanwhile, I got to watch a number of different versions, including the Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders original which made me appreciate the version posted on FB even more. I found myself laughing...and also quite moved. These guys (actually in quite a number of the videos I watched) put themselves out there, were obviously having a great time doing it, and put quite a bit of thought into their versions. And from the wide spread of talent, it looked like everyone got to be in the video, sense of rhythm notwithstanding. Now that's democracy.

So, without further ado, here they are:

The Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders

The U.S. Army in Afghanistan

A combo video that compares the two

No comments:

Post a Comment