Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 269: Strides

Today I am happy to report that strides have been made in the design and manufacture of egg slicers! This may not have been a high point in your day, but it certainly was in mine.

An egg slicer has been a staple among my kitchen utensils ever since I had my own kitchen to equip. In addition to using it for its intended purpose of slicing hard boiled eggs, I've long been using it to slice leftover boiled potatoes to make home fries. This is a much faster method than using a knife and it yields beautiful, even slices.

I was delighted to find an egg slicer in good condition among my mother's kitchen utensils when she passed away a couple of years ago. One of the metal bands on the one I had at home had become a bit bent over the years so I eagerly claimed hers as my own. Needless to say, this met with no resistance from my brother ;-)

They say nothing lasts forever and neither did that slicer. A couple of days ago, in my eagerness to slice potatoes, I pressed too hard and my mother's old slicer bit the dust. That meant I had to resort to a knife and settle for uneven home fries, which simply would not do in the long run. So, off to the supermarket today to purchase a new one. All I can say is, "Wow!" In the ensuing decades since I last purchased an egg slicer (and, no doubt, since my mother purchased hers) they've improved in design and execution. Don't ask me for technical details...what do I know, indeed, care? The new slicer works like a charm. Slices through the potatoes with ease. Releases the slices smoothly. I'm in home fries heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment