Monday, February 11, 2013

Day 265: Back in the saddle

The language saddle that is. After a three month hiatus, I rejoined the Monday night Swedish language exchange. Someone changed the venue and when I showed up at the new café, I found it is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Fortunately, I was early and could post a message on the Meetup site to let people know. I also could post a note on the door directing people to the old venue (a different café just a short walk away on the same street) thanks to the kindness of a neighboring store owner who provided shelter from the cold while I wrote the note and a piece of tape :-)

There's something about helping beginners with Swedish which I find both satisfying and fun. And you often wind up talking about the oddest topics. Today's included wedding traditions in Iran, Spain, Austria, Switzerland and among Jews, disparate corporate cultures, as well as designing safety measures for the Stockholm subway system. All while listening with careful attention for grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary.

Brings back fond memories of my first months in Sweden all those many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment