Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 55: Elegant solutions

OK, I admit it. I am a closet Wordfeud fanatic. I could say Scrabble or even Words With Friends, but Wordfeud Fanatic has a kind of alliteration I like.

But I digress...
A feature I really like in WF is the option to play on a random board. This means that the positions of all the bonus squares (DL, DW, TL, TW, etc.) are randomized and you play each game on a different layout. One consequence is that a word someone places can be worth an inordinate number of points. My record is 468 points but I have heard reports of even higher scores. Naturally, this is not too problematic when you happen to be that someone, although it can be discouraging to your opponent. I've had more than one opponent resign after I place a particularly high scoring word.

The other day, someone started a new game with a word scoring 226 points. He actually thanked me for not giving up. I figure it isn't over till it's over, though I admitted I had quite a bit of catching up to do. (And, yes, I lost that game!).

Every once in a while, I manage to place a word in a particularly satisfying way. Player "John's_Wife" had been lagging behind for most of our match but in the last three rounds had managed to close the gap. Our scores stood 437 (me) to 413 (her) with no tiles left. Dangerously close, as I had the high scoring Q to get rid of before the end of the game.

Suddenly, I saw it. An opportunity to score more than 20 points, which would pretty much secure my victory.


It's her turn now so the board will change again. But what would your next move be if you were me? So far, I can see a way to score 24 points. Any better suggestion? :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment