Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 14: Inspiration

Love this post on FB by a mom (my fabulous photographer friend Juliana) about her 10 year old daughter (the also fabulous Brisa):


And then Brisa wrote a mail to her favorite magazine (KP tidning) and said she would like to be in an article about "blowing glass" WITH her brothers. And yesterday the magazine called and booked her for the article....ahahha....and I didn't know anything about it......all right.....day's wake-up call they are becoming more and more independent, my little babies! ♥♥♥

How is that for initiative? And don't you just love that she included her (younger!) brothers? Think about it: you're a magazine editor and you get an e-mail like that from one of your readers. Totally irresistible, right? 

There's a lesson to be learned here. Figure out what you want and then make it happen. I had that spirit as a youngster. Many of my friends did too. When I was in high school, for example, a group of us wrote and put on a musical the proceeds of which went to Willowbrook Hospital, a mental institution that was the subject of an exposé for deplorable conditions at the time. We also had a Playbill (theater program) for which we sold ads. I canvassed many neighborhood stores and got them to put ads in our program. It was the first Playbill in the school's history that actually turned a profit.

That's one of the things I love about Mattecentrum (The Math Center) where I do volunteer work helping students with mathematics. Today the team hosted an end of term open house at their office in Östermalm. It was invigorating and inspiring to be around these "youngsters" (hey, at my age they are still youngsters to me) who have built up an organization that helps more than 3000 students a year in nine cities around Sweden, and two in Denmark, not to mention innumerable students online. And they're funny and warm to boot.
Hur många vuxen poäng får du ihop?
Avslutningsmingel på Mattecentrum...the Math Center end of term mingle
When I'm feeling that my get up and go got up and went, it's nice to be reminded that it's just on a break. And that the Brisas and Mattecentrums of the world are at it full force and there to rekindle the entrepreneurial spirit within me. Tack ska ni ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment