Friday, January 25, 2013

Days 248-249: Audacity at its best

The Eugene O'Neill Theater

In its review, The New York Times describes The Book of Mormon as "blasphemous, scurrilous and amore foul-mouthed than David Mamet on a blue streak." And well it was. And very, very funny. I'm always skeptical of a show (or movie or book or art or, well, anything) that is praised beyond the moon and back. This time, I was not disappointed.

I'm fascinated by how it occurs to someone, or a group of collaborators, to pick some topics for a musical. The two most recent ones I've seen...this one and Assassins...certainly focus on odd subject matter. Whatever their motivation...or inspiration...I'm delighted to have been so thoroughly entertained.

As a bonus, I stopped hurriedly by Boston Market on my way to the theater and was able to purchase a bowl of chicken noodle soup to go. Just the thing to fight off  the (yet another) cold I'm developing. That's New York people...chicken soup and Broadway shows. Gotta love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment