Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day 151: Hugs make me happy

The hotel in Gäddede invited all the organizers and instructors who were still here tonight after the Lindy Hop  Festival was over to dinner. The meal was prepared by their kitchen staff, a group of four young women from the Middle East (Lebanon and Sudan I believe). The food was exquisitely delicious and a reminder of how truly small our world has become. You would hardly have expected to feast on homemade Middle Eastern food in a small village in northern Sweden just a few short years ago.

There were many toasts and many accolades at dinner, many people to thank and recognize for the amazing work and spirit of this dance weekend. And lots of laughs. And many, many hugs. Hugs of hello and hugs of farewell. Hugs of appreciation and thanks. Hugs simply for the pleasure of giving a hug. I felt transported in time to 1992 and my first visit to Herräng Dance Camp (during my second visit to Sweden). Then, as now, there was an intimate, close-knit spirit to the event. And many hugs.

I leave here tired...and happy...and looking forward to the next time in hopes that it stays this small and perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment