Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 125: Changing focus

My week as a "single mom" came to an end this morning with a rather leisurely and successful breakfast with my Sweeties. They were all talk about Being Elmo which we'd watched last night and which obviously left a big impression. To my question, "So how do you think our week went?" I got three thumbs up. And I got hugs at the door as I sent them off to school.

Then it was time to shift gears and return to my single life, without the mom part. The impact of re-entry into a childless existence was softened considerably as I had tonight's Assassins singing rehearsal to look forward to. Four members of the cast got together with our wonderful musical director to sing through a couple of the songs. Tricky, tricky Mr. Sondheim. Every single note is so specific, and many are unexpected. Then there are all the variations on one and the same melody line. It's all nuance. Into this nuance you have to fit the densest of lyrics. Such a challenge.


I know a number of these songs in English and tonight I heard a couple of them in Swedish for the first time. Surrounded by a top-notch cast, I managed to sing along, ever so quietly!, and was humbled by the level of difficulty. And everyone's commitment. And good humor.

How lucky am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment